Thursday, January 17, 2013

Winter Visitors

This past Tuesday was a beautiful and sunny mid-January day -- especially when you think of how awful January in Minnesota could be (and has been in the past).  While I had Holly out in the backyard for her potty break, I heard the unmistakable call of Cedar Waxwings.  Looking around I saw this small flock perched in the top of one of my crabapple trees.  I was thankful to see that they stuck around long enough for me to grab my camera and even continued posing while I walked around the yard to take advantage of the last afternoon sunshine and capture a photo of them in the best light.  I love Cedar Waxwings and what a treat to see them in the middle of winter!


7 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Nice shot. Hopefully a sign of early spring.

Dawn Fine said...

Nice visit!

Tonyia said...

Those are amazing! Great picture, great timing!

Mollie said...

What a great photo! Beautiful birds. And a whole flock! And I just saw your TickerFactory for spring. LOL! While you might want an early spring, I hope you get some rain/snow soon. I've heard from my Wisconsin family that it's been a pretty dry winter.

RuthieJ said...

Thanks Gaelyn -- I hope so too!

Thanks Dawn.

Thanks Tonyia. Do you see Cedar Waxwings at your place too?

Thank Mollie! You're right, it's very dry here. I hope we get some snow again soon too. There's almost no snow left and what remains is mostly hard and crusty. The birds are really taking advantage of the 2 heated birdbaths on my deck.

Jayne said...

They came last summer and stayed for a week or so while they fully stripped my hollies of all their berries. Now the berries have been restored so I'll be watching for them. I just love seeing them in their feeding frenzy!

Red Maple Tree said...

Wow! This is absolutely rear picture. Only lucky person can shot this type of picture. Thank you for sharing this.