Thursday, April 19, 2007

Just an Ordinary Thursday

I'm disappointed to report that there was no discernible progress on the robin nest under the deck, so I didn't take any pictures. I'm not sure whether they've decided to build elsewhere or maybe are just waiting a few more days. I think there may be still be a chance that they will complete this nest because they are still hanging around near the house and deck as evidenced by this photo of a robin taking advantage of the birdbath on the deck.


I'm heading down to the Public Hearing of the High Forest Planning Commission tonight. They will be discussing the "proposed truck dealership" on the parcel that is currently zoned highway commercial. I've shown you pictures of this before, but here is the latest progress on the "proposed" building project.

I'm going to raise the question at the meeting asking why we weren't informed of this project prior to them actually clearing the land a year and a half ago! The neighbor directly east of this project stopped over to see us the other night and asked if we were planning to attend the meeting. I've already sent the Township Planning Association a letter stating my opinion of the whole project, but after talking to my neighbor, I decided it would probably be a good idea to attend the meeting for a show of support with my other neighbors. I'm not sure what's going to happen, I've never attended a meeting like this before. I'd better take some knitting along to calm me down so I don't stand up and make an ugly scene. Obviously all the ranting and raving in the world can't stop this project now.

I'm leaving tomorrow to attend the SW Minnesota Prairie Birding Fest in Luverne, MN with my friends (and former co-workers) Joyce and Terry. It sounds like the weather is going to be pretty cooperative (in the 70's) and only a slight chance of rain. We're going to stop at some sewage ponds along the way and see what kinds of birds are hanging out there. I'm weak on shorebird identification, so hopefully going with these expert birders will help me strengthen my identification skills. At any rate, there won't be a posting here tomorrow night, but hopefully I'll have some good pictures and stories to share when I get home on Saturday.

We finally saw the deer in our backyard (not just the evidence from what they've eaten). When I went to put the dogs out around 11:00 last night there were 2 out in back, so not wanting to disturb them I took the dogs out the front door. This morning when we got up and I went to put the dogs out again, there were still 2 out in back and another one over in the side yard. It was sure fun to see them. They're not at all disturbed by the yardlight, but they will run away as soon as I open the door. Rick thinks these may be some of the fawns we saw last summer (one doe had twins and another had triplets). I'm not sure where they go during the day, but when they ran away, they went through the wildflower patch and headed south.

No comments: