Friday, July 20, 2007

Chrysalis Stage

I'm halfway to Monarch butterflies! Yesterday when I got home from work, I noticed my largest caterpillar was in the process of crawling towards the ceiling of his home.

I had to leave the house around 4:00 for the Rochester Flower and Garden Club tour (highlights and picture of that in tomorrow's post) and didn't get home till almost 9:30.

Upon returning home, I found that the caterpillar had managed to secure himself to the top of the house and was starting to assume the "J" position.

When I got up this morning, I noticed one of the other smaller caterpillars had also started its move to the top.

When I got home from work this afternoon, I found a completed chrysalis. Isn't it beautiful?

(OK, I admit it's kind of a crappy picture taken through the plastic cover, but I still think it's beautiful!)

The other caterpillar is also in the process of creating its secure attachment to enable the building of the chrysalis, so by the end of the day tomorrow, I should have another monarch chrysalis on my ranch.

The rest of the caterpillars are still munching away on their milkweed leaves and growing like crazy. I'll have to start looking for more little caterpillars and eggs tomorrow.

Monarch Ranch II went down to the campground for the weekend with my office mate. I'll be interested to find out how she did with that on Monday.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on posting about Monarch I&II, this is getting interesting sort of like a mystery, but we know the outcome. This is so fascinating, it's been a long time since I've seen this, probably since all of you "kids" were at home.

Anonymous said...

It so interesting following your monarchs' developement!

Larry said...

-That's intersting to watch-You're like a scientist in your lab-Chrysalis was the name of a record company too.-I think they carried Robin Trower-one of my favorite guitarists.

NM High School Sports News said...

You should think about tagging your Monarchs that you raise in the ranch when migration begins! Great job helping a few monarchs reach the bfly stage. How does it feel being a Monarch Mom Ruthie?

Ron

Jayne said...

That is just so cool Ruthie! I love watching this unfold. Do keep us posted on their progress!

KGMom said...

I find the life cycle of butterflies most interesting--no wonder butterflies are symbols of renewal.

Hmm--when I reach chrysalis stage, I wonder what I will be when I re-emerge?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ruthie,
I thought you might like to know that you are raising the official state butterfly. This designation was made in 1998 because the Monarch is one of only a few butterfly species which migrate north and south as birds do. This information is courtesy of the official Minnesota Legislative Manual.
Love
Dad

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that the monarch butterfly was the state butterfly. You'll have to let Lynn know at Hastybrook and anyone else who blogs from MN. See when I say I'm never to old to learn and I do from all your blogs and from your blogging friends.
Thanks much all.
MOM

RuthieJ said...

Hi Mom & Dad,
I didn't know the Monarch was our state butterfly either (I, too, am learning many new things from blogging). Thanks for the information. I think the only other Minnesota state thing I have in my yard is the Norway pine. I looked at the Minnesota Legislative Manual and noticed they didn't list the State Mammal--is it the White-Tailed Deer?

Hi Maud,
I'm glad you're enjoying it--thanks for stopping by.

Hi Larry,
I seem to vaguely remember the term "Chrysalis Records" also, but our age is showing because we actually remember records!

Hi Ron,
I think it would be interesting to tag them also. Did you get your tagging kit from MonarchWatch.org? I saw they have them listed on the website when I signed up for my Monarch Waystation.

Hi Jayne,
Glad you're coming along for the event. I had something strange occur that I'll try to document in my next post about the monarch ranch....

Hi Donna,
It truly is a miracle! When I look at that chrysalis in the light, it's hard to see anything inside, so it's just really wonderful how that caterpillar can turn into something as beautiful as a monarch.

NM High School Sports News said...

Ruthie

That is where I got my tags last year. Did you get your Waystation # yet?

Ron