Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What season is it anyway??

The seasonal transitions are always tough to get used to, but be glad you're not a dandelion in Minnesota! Our record warmth of 10 days ago convinced some of the dandelions that it was spring and time to start blooming again. Then snow and cold over the weekend destroyed any spring fantasies we might have been entertaining. When I was filling birdfeeders this afternoon, I noticed one hardy little dandelion stilling holding its tiny head up high--perhaps delighted with the fact that the most of the nearby snow had melted off today.
I'm still having a hard time getting used to snow on green grass too!

I wasn't sure of the use of "hardy" vs. "hearty," so decided to check the dictionary before posting. Since "hardy" came first alphabetically, here's what I found:

har-dy adj: able to withstand adverse conditions

I'm going to paste this little dandelion's picture in my dictionary next to the definition--if this doesn't depict hardy, I don't know what does!! (I know to some they are just ugly weeds to seek out and destroy, but I really like my dandelions!)

12 comments:

Dana and Daisy said...

dandelions are prized by some people for their medicinal teas made from the leaves... good for stomach upsets I've heard. And the flowers are used as a natural dye.

The horticultural use of the word hardy means specifically that a plant can live through a specific temperature to another growing season, as in "hardy to -10", sometimes identified by agricultural zones as in hardy to zone 8.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This is a broad juxtapositon. It is something I might see during spring.

Mama Pea said...

This fall/early winter weather has been so strange even up here in northern Minnesota. My two thyme plants have blossoms on them. Are they as befuddled as the rest of us?

Susan Gets Native said...

One day last week, I used the AC in the car. The next day, I used the heat.
WTF?

Anonymous said...

How funny that you posted this today. When I drove in my driveway after work today, I thought, "those can't be dandelions in the yard", but they were! We just had our first snow, then melt, a couple of days ago.

Deb said...

Ah, autumn in Minnesota. It's never dull!

Anonymous said...

A little yellow surprise in with the snow, we never know what we will find in Minn, one thing for sure there is always something waiting to be found, what fun for us.

MOM

Mary said...

We went from A/C to heat in the house and cars in 24 hours last week. I never know what to wear, hauling coats, jackets, sweaters in the back of my car, just in case...

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Art and I drove up to Hasty Brook for the day today. Many of the ponds were frozen over and there was ice along the creek. Brrr!

Jayne said...

They are brave little flowers, no doubt!

RuthieJ said...

Hi Dana & Daisy,
I also have a recipe for dandelion jelly made with the flowers--I'm going to attempt it again next spring during peak bloom season in the backyard.
Dandelions are definitely hardy here in my Zone 4 region.

Hi Lisa,
This dandelion appeared on the sheltered SE side of my house and that's where they usually bloom first in the spring too.

Hi Mama Pea,
I noticed that too--once we started getting the fall rains and the weather stayed warm, it seemed like everything perked back up again....too bad it was so late in the season.

Hi Susan,
LOL - usually we get those WTF events in October, not the middle of November....is this another sign of global warming?

Hi Jan,
Isn't it crazy? A little moisture and then some sun can sure perk those dandelions up.

Hi Deb,
At least we always have the weather to talk about, right?

Hi Mom,
A yellow dandelion surprise in the snow is way better than some other yellow surprises I've seen in the snow!

That's for sure Mary--I had to dig the snowboots out over the weekend to fill the birdfeeders but now I'm back to my rubber garden clogs. Oh well, winter will be here to stay soon enough, so I'll enjoy this short reprieve.

Brrrr is right, Lynne! I'm having a hard time just seeing ice on the birdbaths.

Hi Jayne,
Brave and cute too!

Marsha said...

Definitely a "hardy" little spot of yellow :-) I guess all of us Minnesotans could be classified as Hardy then too!