Friday, April 2, 2010

Thanks for Your Vote!

Remember my little rant a couple weeks ago about the possibility of a Sandhill Crane hunt in Minnesota? (if you don't, click here to read it again). I also posted this item on my Facebook page and encouraged "birding friends" to cast their vote too.

When today's issue of the Minnesota Outdoor News arrived in the mailbox, Mr. Johnson immediately turned to the "Online Opinions" page to see if any results of this vote had been published yet and lo, and behold, they had. I scanned these items from the Outdoor News to share with you here.


I thank all of you, my "birding friends," who took the time to cast your vote on this issue. At least we got the attention of the folks at Outdoor News. You may remember also that this was only an opinion poll for the Outdoor News and the results would obviously have no bearing on the decision of the Minnesota DNR......as was evidenced by this article which subsequently appeared on page 6 of today's issue of the Outdoor News. (One small step forward for the Minnesota DNR and one giant leap backwards for bird conservation.)

Sorry I wasn't able to include the entire article on my scanner, but I think you can pretty much determine the outcome from what I've managed to scan in this image.

6 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Way to go Ruthie! I'm proud of you and your willingness to stand up and ACT!

Deb said...

I pretty much figured Outdoor News would cast the poll off as an act of "outsiders", even though they try to say they represent the interests of birders (I don't think so). I would say more about the intentions of the DNR, but I need my job. ;)

Jayne said...

I still just don't get it. Why cranes? Why shoot cranes for sport?

RuthieJ said...

Thanks Lynne, but I really didn't do anything except post the website for others to go and vote. It's nice to have our voices heard, too bad it doesn't do any good.....

Hi Deb,
Yeah, Outdoor News has that "backyard" page with photos every couple of weeks. I suppose that's their contribution to keep the "birders" happy.
I think the DNR does have some good projects, but this is one that I don't think I'll ever understand!

It doesn't make sense to me either Jayne. I guess some people think they're good eatin', but I can think of other wild game I'd rather eat than a Sandhill Crane!

Dawn Fine said...

Excellent..Great job!!

troutbirder said...

Thanks Ruthie. If the DNR goes thru with this stupid idea one result for me will be that I will no longer be able to tease my Bismarkian daughter in law that in North Dakota they shoot anything with 2 or 4 legs to eat including a table or a ladder. Minnesota seems to be catching up.