Sunday, March 28, 2010

More Backyard Bunnies

I know that Eastern Cottontail Rabbits are supremely annoying to some people (like my neighbor who loves nothing better than shooting them with his .22, which is supremely annoying to me!) While I know they can (and have) cause some damage to trees and shrubs in my backyard, I enjoy watching them a lot more than trying to get rid of them. Shortly before dark last night, I was able to capture these shots of bunnies and birdies out the dining room window.

I love it when they stand up on their hind legs to see what's going on. I didn't know it at the time, but there was another bunny making its way over to this birdfeeder.

It's really fun to see how all of the backyard critters seems to tolerate each other's presence. Obviously, the robin had no interest in the corn, so these two have no competition problems with each other.


Likewise with Mrs. Cardinal.......Bunny was content to continue eating from the ground while the cardinal picked out a few last minute seeds from the tray before heading off to her roosting spot for the night.

Now you see the other bunny has finally arrived to munch on the corn and seed spilled out from the tray during the day by those piggy grackles. And still, Mrs. Cardinal isn't bothered by the presence of 2 bunnies!

"Beat it, Mrs. Cardinal! Bunny now rules this corn tray!"
I don't have any photos, but once in a while when the deer are in the backyard, a bunny will show up and try to challenge the deer at the corn tray. That's always fun to watch, especially when it's one of the younger deer. They're so curious about the bunnies and the bunny seems to know this.....I've seen them make a challenging run right up to the deer and then scoot away just as quickly. This sometimes will really startle the deer. I don't know if it's some kind of fun game that these bunnies engage in or if it's really meant to try and scare the deer away, but it's still pretty neat to witness when it happens.

12 comments:

Kelly said...

How cute! I like the bunnies too... Must be a hoot to see the bunnies challenging the deer--reindeer games! ;-)

LauraHinNJ said...

Bunnies are tricksters and love to play!

Heather said...

I think you're lucky to have bunnies in your backyard, Ruthie. I haven't seen yard bunnies since I lived with my parents. In general, the only wabbits I see are those running out in the road in front of me - d'oh! That's really interesting that they challenge the deer at the feeder. Must be really fun to watch.

Anonymous said...

The Easter bunnies are stoking up so they can deliver all those Easter baskets this coming Sunday!! They are all so cute.

MOM

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am surprised that your dog doesn't keep the bunnies at bay. Luna won't tolerate them in her garden. They don't try to nest here any more. I am glad because they can be so distructive.

RuthieJ said...

Hi Kelly,
It is pretty cute!

Thanks Laura, I enjoy watching the bunnies play & chase with each other too. That thing they do where one bunny will run up to a second one who then jumps straight up into the air always cracks me up!

Hi Heather,
I think in the area where we live (except for GHOs and a neighbor with a gun) there are no larger predators (like coyotes) for the bunnies. Plus a plentiful supply of food and cover keeps their numbers high.

Thanks Mom. I knew you would enjoy seeing these pictures.

Hi Lisa,
I think Sophie's finally figured out she can't catch them, so she doesn't even try anymore. Squirrels seem to irritate her much more.

KGMom said...

I like the bunny sitting up.
We have several that come into our fenced-in pool area--where our inside cats look out and get all agitated.

Dave Dorsey said...

That's too cool! Who needs a TV when you have that for entertainment.

Jayne said...

I love seeing the bunnies too Ruthie. I know they can do lots of damage, but well... they are just bunnies being bunnies!

stephen said...

they certainly are entertaining to watch.

Cathy said...

No way. I'd love to see a movie of the bunny challenging the deer. What a hoot!

Very cute pictures. I'd have a word with that neighbor.

RuthieJ said...

Thanks Donna....the sitting up pose is my favorite too.

I agree Dave....definitely more entertaining than much of what's on TV most nites.

Hi Jayne,
There are things I can do to discourage those bunnies from chewing on stuff and keeping trays of corn out for them is one of the easiest things to do.

You got that right Stephen!

Hi Cathy,
The deer/bunny standoff is lots of fun to see.
I have spoken to the neighbor and he now understands that he can't shoot any bunnies on MY yard.