Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Amazon Package Arrived!

Remember my post the other day about bird and nature sound identification? Well, while I was researching information to include in that post, I spent quite a bit of time over at Amazon.com (not to be confused with the quite a bit of time I spent over there for the book cover meme).

Anywhoo, while over at Amazon I did decide to purchase a new copy of Lang Elliott's "Guide to Night Sounds" with an audio CD (my other one is a cassette--definitely not as user friendly as a CD).



The little companion guide is really neat, with very nice photographs and pencil illustrations. It's also nice because the CD stores conveniently in a little pocket inside the back cover. I'll be having some fun with this.


The other cool book I ordered is "Caterpillars in the Field and Garden."

Remember last summer when we were all finding caterpillars and butterflies? I had some good field guides to help me identify the butterflies, but was constantly being stumped on caterpillar ID.


Not anymore!! While this guide is just for the butterfly caterpillars, I believe it's still going to be an excellent reference book for next summer. The caterpillars are grouped by butterfly species and there are also range maps included so you can correctly identify the butterfly caterpillar for your specific geographic region. It also includes a few chrysalis photographs too. Good stuff.

Oh, and did I mention I also got free shipping? Thanks Amazon....I'll be back!

Not related to field guides at all, I took this funny picture of Daisy the other night. Sometimes she ends up in the goofiest positions. This time she kind of fell over after I got up from sitting next to her--I think she was still half asleep and just didn't have the energy to assume a more comfortable position.

"Please stop laughing at me Mom, 'cuz if you would'a stayed sitting here this wouldn't'a happened!"

10 comments:

Robin (Bumblebee) said...

Hah. I always seem to get sidetracked at these places when I'm gift shopping. One for them--one for me--one for them--two for me.

I have a little arsenal of nature books too that I have lined up where I have my a.m. coffee. Good stuff!

--Robin (Bumblebee)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Love the Caterpillar book. I have one but it isn't as extensive as this one appears. Another book for my christmas gift list. :)

Poor Daisy...

RuthieJ said...

Hi Robin,
I know exactly what you mean! If I never went there I wouldn't know all these great books and cool stuff existed and once I find them, it's difficult to resist.

I'm glad you're pursuing a "nature continuing education program!"

Hi Lisa,
I was really impressed by this book. The photographs and information included is really good.

Don't let those sad eyes fool you....Daisy has a pretty good life :)

Jayne said...

Neat books! I love Amazon as you can pretty much find anything there and they ship so quickly. I got the Prime Membership so that I get free TWO day shipping on everything. As much as I order from them, no shipping plus no sales tax adds up to a goodly sum!

RuthieJ said...

Hi Jayne,
I think I only had visited Amazon once before.... I was amazed at everything they had after spending a little time there. You're right about the sales tax and shipping--it does make a huge difference!

Anonymous said...

Looks like I will have to visit Amazon.com too. The books look so ineresting someday I'll have to borrow them {notice I said borrow not buy].
Did you tell Daisy we're all coming to your house for Thanksgiving and just maybe we'll slip her some food under the table. She always enjoys that.
MOM

RuthieJ said...

Hi Mom,
You can borrow those books anytime.

Daisy is so ready for everyone to come over for Thanksgiving. She knows once everyone sees how skinny she's gotten, she will get lots of Thanksgiving treats! (and she will tell you not to give any to Sophie because she's too chubby)

Meggie said...

Hey Ruthie: I'm forever taking notes when I visit your blog. The book and CD on night sounds is something I really would enjoy. Happy Thanksgiving to you! I have to instruct everyone in my family to not feed my Onyx. I really don't think anyone listens to me.

RuthieJ said...

Hi Meggie,
I guess I should figure out how to add 'labels' to my posts and then you wouldn't have to take notes, just look for a label, but I'm glad you're finding something noteworthy! Good luck with your night sounds education--it was a lot of fun for me too.

Happy Thanksgiving to you also! I'm sure my doggies will happily go on a long walk after our big dinner tomorrow (I guess we'll all probably benefit from that anyway!)

Mary said...

Ruthie,

You will be my expert next Spring, unless I visit Amazon. They look like excellent guides!

Daisy, (I had a childhood dog named Daisy - a beagle who lived to 17). She looks so comfy on her blanketed sofa! I'm glad I'm not the only one who covers furniture with blankets because of the DOGS.

:O)
Mary