Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving Highlights

Well, it was a fun Thanksgiving day and our house was pretty busy all day. We were thankful the weather wasn't snowy--it was cloudy and there were light snow flurries all day, but nothing to ruin anyone's plans.

The red-bellied woodpecker stopped by my suet feeder for a Thanksgiving treat.

Sophie was more than happy to assist me with pre-washing dishes (she saw the camera but cleaning out the stuffing dish was more important than hiding from the camera).

Penny was reluctant to leave the placemat so I could put on the tablecloth and set the table for dinner (BTW--that's Rick's placemat, not mine!)

Ethan was there, wearing his special "Grandma's Little (drooly) Gobbler" bib.

Ethan also got to try his first taste of dill pickle (kinda like a big ol' dill-flavored nipple).

Daisy stayed under the table most of the day so she could pop up periodically next to someone who might give her a treat. I like this picture where Daisy popped up for a treat from my niece (looks like Ethan thinks he should be getting something too--upper right of photo).

Daisy also stopped by Grampy to see if he could provide her with any snacks.

After dinner, Grammy and Ethan decided to have a little rest under the blanket in the recliner.

It was a fun day with the family. I was exhausted and went to bed before 8:00 (geez, I must be getting old!)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like a very fun day from the start to the end! Glad things went good!

Larry said...

Happy leftover day.-Looks like you had a nice time.-Nice photos!I miss seing the RBWP -haven't had one at the feeder for a while.

Deb said...

I guess I don't feel so bad now...I struggled to stay up until 8:00 myself! I watched some old Cheers episodes with the kids, so that helped.

Mary said...

That dill-flavored nipple pic is hilarious! And Daisy...just like the beggars here.

What a fun day, Ruthie. I know what you mean about crashing early. I felt the same yesterday. You aren't getting too old - its just a lot of work!

Anonymous said...

You went to bed at 8 PM, well when Dad and I got home we took a nap so we could watch TV later and the 10 PM news. It was a nice day, I sure enjoyed watching birds from the dining room window.
Did you find any tundra swans today, they were down near Brownsville, pictures in tonites Post Bulletin.
MOM

Meggie said...

Hey Ruthie: Glad you had a good turkey day. Ethan sure is a cutie pie. Love your comment about the placemat...being Rick's. Great shot of the woodpecker. I do have those at my feeder, but don't have as good a view as you. I saw another buck in my yard today...actually I have 3 acres surrounded by woods..he was only a spike, but a big boy nonetheless. I sure hope I don't hear a lot of shooting on Monday.

Mary C said...

That looks like a great family gathering. I'm so glad you had such a good time. It was nice for us to have all four of us to sit down and eat a meal together (which is rare) around here.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Love the family photos. Isn't it funny how babies and dogs steal the show?? Looks like a good time was had by all...

Jayne said...

Looks like a fun time was had by all, especially Daisy! Ethan is a sweetie pie!

RuthieJ said...

Hi Mon@rch,
My brother brought a BIG bottle of wine....that helped to keep me mellow.

Hi Larry,
The RBWPs have just started showing up in my yard again too (they left for the summer). I was surprised to see this one so close to the house--I wonder if it's a juvenile because the red on its head isn't very intense.

Hi Deb,
I made the mistake of sitting down on the couch with my knitting--and then the inevitable happened (nitey-nite)

Hi Mary,
I knew you would be able to identify with those mooching mutts!
I'm glad things went well--I finally just got all the dishes put back where they belong this morning.

Hi Mom,
I thought about taking a nap and then decided I might just as well go to bed so I could get up early like I'm used to.

A swan post is on its way.....we saw thousands!!

Hi Meggie,
I'm the one who feeds the cat and cleans her box, but she still likes Rick the best! Go figure...

Watch out by your place this week....it's not just the deer who sometimes lose their sense during the hunting season!

Hi Mary,
We were all here except for my brother and his family out in California. They only like to visit Minnesota in the summer when it's warm....maybe next time they visit we should have Thanksgiving in July!

Hi Lisa,
Yup-the baby and dogs were much more entertainment than anything on TV. It was a fun day.

Hi Jayne,
Ethan's pretty mellow until he gets hungry and then all hell breaks loose. You don't get much warning--he just starts to howl. The dogs didn't quite know what to make of that!

entoto said...

Ruthie,

What a lovely day. Evan is simply gorgeous! Is he a red-head? My Zoey loved to chomp on dills before she even had teeth. And the placemat, at least we know it was warm.

Cathy said...

Great pictures! Sweet, so sweet :0)