I got my tags and instruction sheet and grabbed the first monarch from the ranch. The instructions warned that the tags were very sticky and they were right! I had to fumble with the first tag a little bit but finally got the tag unstuck from my fingertip and attached to her wing. Here she is.....my first tagged monarch.
I stuck her back in the ranch for a few minutes while I tagged the second monarch. Here you can see how the tag appears when her wings are open.
The second monarch went much easier, after practicing on my first one. This second monarch was a male.
Then I released both of them outside on this beautiful, sunny afternoon and they flew happily away. I saw a couple of monarchs flying around while I was mowing lawn, but didn't notice any white dots on their wings. I also saw an eastern tiger swallowtail and a black swallowtail.
I trimmed some low-hanging branches from the maple trees after I was done mowing and found an insect I had never seen before. "Oh, this is cool," I said to myself, "now I'll be able to look in my new insect book and find out what this is." And I did--a female Two-Spotted Tree Cricket.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot....4 baby bluebirds hatched in the nest box! They are so cute!