Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Zucchini Tuesday

As in every other year, the zucchini is becoming plentiful (I'm glad I only have 1 plant this year). I had 9 sitting on the kitchen counter tonight and decided I'd better get busy and do something with it before it gets spoiled. Marilyn, who works down the hall from me brought in some zucchini bread last week and she willingly shared her recipe, so 2 of my zucchini went into this bread. The recipe calls for 2 cups of zucchini, but the 2 zucchini I shredded came out to 3 cups, so I increased the recipe by one-half and ended up with three loaves. (especially delicious when still warm from the oven)
When I was checking the garden last evening and removing the jumbo zucchini I had missed picking a week ago, I came across this zucchini pretending to be a duck. Pretty cool, eh?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

MARILYN'S ZUCCHINI BREAD

2 cups sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup oil
3 eggs
1 tsp. each of baking soda, baking powder, salt
(I also added 1 tsp. each of nutmeg and ground cloves)
1 tbsp. each of cinnamon, vanilla
3 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (if desired)

Mix all ingredients together in the order shown and pour into greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees (325 degrees if you're using glass pans) for 50-60 minutes.

This recipe makes 2 loaves.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat zucchini, does it float like a duck? Maybe you could put in your little pond and see if any other ducks come, use it as a decoy. Everyone is looking for a new use for zucchini well there's one for you HA-HA!!!!!!
MOM

Jayne said...

My grandmother used to make such delicious zucchini bread so this brings back so many good memories. Yummy.... I can imagine the moist warmth as you slice into it and enjoy a lightly toasted piece with some butter.

Anonymous said...

Love the sculpture! Thanks for putting a big smile on my face as I head out the door to work...

RuthieJ said...

Hi Mom,
I thought about painting it to look like a duck too. I didn't check to see if it floated--probably not because it was pretty heavy!

Hi Jayne,
The bread smelled so good while it was baking and it was still warm when I cut it so the butter just melted without even being toasted. Yummy!

Hi Martie,
I'm glad I was able to start your day with a smile :-)
How are things going at home with your new doggy?

Ruth said...

I haven't made zucchini bread for years, likely since the 1970's when I used to grow them. Your post makes my mouth water!
ruth

RuthieJ said...

Oh Ruth, I'm sitting here at my desk with a couple slices in a baggie waiting for late morning break. The smell of the spices is making me crazy....I'm going to have to hide it in a drawer or I'll break down and eat it by 8:00.