Thursday, June 26, 2008

More Deer & A Bulldog for Mary

Got some more pictures of a long-nosed doe eating corn in the backyard again early this morning.
Last winter and into the spring we would sometimes see as many as 6 deer near the feeders at night. I suppose some of them are busy with little ones right now, or they have moved on to other habitats, so we only have one for now.

I thought this deer looked an awful lot like pictures of another deer we had gotten a couple years ago. I found the file and compared them for Mr. Johnson, but he told me it probably wasn't the same deer--maybe one of her offspring.

2008
2006
But they sure look alot alike, don't you think??

This was my favorite shot from last night......the last picture right before she left the yard. Obviously there was something over across the road that had gotten all of her attention (those ears don't miss much)!

Do you ever have people say to you, "I thought of you today when I saw ________ (fill in the blank)." Well I thought of Mary (because of her grand-dog) today when I saw this giant bulldog on our way home from work.
Near our house is the Mack truck dealership. They were hosting their annual open house and this gigantic "Mack" bulldog was right out in front by the highway.

Since Mr. Johnson takes his daily walk past here, Sophie and I decided to accompany him for the photo opportunity.
Nice Doggie!!

11 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Too funny Ruthie ! Sophie doesn't look too happy to be standing under that big dog...

Susan Gets Native said...

LOL! It's Bam Bam!

I need a stealth cam. We get so many critters here at night. And the other day, a white-tail doe just came strolling into the yard, like she owns the joint.

Jayne said...

Oh how funny Ruthie! Mary will love this. :c) I think it's the same doe too. The markings look so much the same.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Look out Sophie, that bulldog might get you!

Shelley said...

Hmm...those does look a lot alike...
Have you read the book "The gift of deer"? The same parents kept coming back and having babies. Good read!

Anonymous said...

That is one big bulldog, but I prefer Black & White.
MOM

RuthieJ said...

Hi Lynne,
When Sophie's got her walking leash on, she doesn't like to stand still!

Hi Susan,
You DO need a Stealth Cam! Since we're at work all day, I should keep the camera on to see if there are any deer coming during the day--sometimes we see them on the weekend.

Hi Jayne,
I'm glad you enjoyed these pics. Now your vote & mine will overrule Mr. Johnson and we confirm it's the same deer! ;-)

Hi Lisa,
Sophie sniffed the bulldog's toe and decided she's better behave!

Hi Shelley,
The Gift of the Deer by Helen Hoover--yes, I have that book in my library and have read it a couple times. It's such a neat story--especially for people who really enjoy the deer.

Hi Mom,
Wouldn't it be fun to see a big Boston Terrier like that?
P.S. I'm glad you're feeling well enough to read some blogs. I hope your speedy recovery continues!

Anonymous said...

Ruthie, how fun is that?! By the way Helen Hoover wrote a few other books, too. A Long Shadowed Forest and others. She lived on Gunflint Lake near the end of the Gunflint Trail in MN. They had a house not far from Gunflint Lodge owned by the Kerfoots. Great reads.

RuthieJ said...

Hi Cindy,
Thanks for the tip on Helen Hoover's other books. I've added them to my Amazon wish list. I especially enjoy reading stories by Minnesota authors.

Mary said...

Bam Bam is waaaay more handsome... :o)

Anonymous said...

I need to get myself one of those cameras! Love your bull dog . . big boy!