Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mr. Opportunity

As I was walking past the dining room window, I had to look twice at something in the birdfeeder hanging outside because that sure didn't look like a sparrow or house finch..........


Forget that little cartoon dude on TV.......here's the real Mr. Opportunity!

How do they manage to stuff that much seed into their cheeks without hurting themselves?

No wonder this feeder got emptied out so fast! How do you think he got up there? Climbed from the pole holding the feeder? Dropped down from a tree branch? This is the same little chipmunk I usually see on the deck, so he must have cleaned out that feeder tray and discovered this tube feeder with a convenient seed catch tray for the optimal dining opportunity.

9 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

That little rascal. He can't help it Ruthie. He has to prepare for the winter.

Anonymous said...

Ruthie I couldn't help LOL 'til my sides hurt. Those little guys are so ingenius they think of a way to get to food. That is the 1st 4 footed bird I ever saw LOL, LOL.
So cool.
Bring on some more pics like that!

MOM

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't correct my mistakes, I'm still laughing.

MOM

KGMom said...

You mean that little ledge around the feeder ISN'T for chipmunks?
I am betting he dropped from the tree branch. Climbing the pole seems a bit too tricky.

Heidi said...

My money's on hopping over from the tree!

LOL, that's too cute :D

RuthieJ said...

Hi Lisa,
I know he can't help it and I guess I'd better be a little more faithful about keeping seed in his tray on the deck.

Hi Mom,
I'm glad you enjoyed that little chipmunk. I thought he was pretty cute too.

Hi Donna & Red,
I know the squirrels would be able to climb the pole, but I think the chipmunk's feet are too small. Jumping from the tree seems like the best possibility to me too.

Jayne said...

I love that last photo! Wonder just how much he gets into those cheeks? They are such a hoot!

Mel said...

LOL
That last pic is priceless!!
I think you just solved the empty-too-fast feeder's mystery ;)

Dog_geek said...

Awww... chipmunks are just so gosh darn cute that you can forgive them for being such trouble.