Friday, November 7, 2008

Snow & Knitting

As you can probably tell, there hasn't been much going on in my life lately that's even worthy of a photograph or a blog post, but it's been a while since I've posted anything, so here are a few things from today that were worth taking pictures of and talking about. We had snow--all day! Most of the time it was just light flurries, but there were some heavier bands and we actually had a couple inches piled up on the deck by the time I got home from work. The grassy areas are still warm enough that most of the snow melted during the day, but temps are going to drop overnight and the ground is already white, so for the first time in many years, there will be snow on the ground for the Minnesota firearms deer hunting opener. That's going to make a lot of people happy......


I stopped on the way home from work at my LYS (local yarn shoppe). She's recently moved to another new location and I wanted to stop by to check out the new spot and wouldn't you know I found some yarn to purchase! (I am a pathetic yarn addict--you should have seen the beautiful mohair with a silver thread in it that I almost purchased instead of this!) Noro makes these wonderful yarns where the color changes are really lengthy and it gives your knitting a really neat striped effect.
This is a ball of sock yarn, but I'm going to try knitting a shawl with it. I love the colors--you can't see it really clearly, but there's an olive green color in there and way down inside the ball there's also a lovely slate blue that fades into a purpley-gray color. The hardest thing will be to choose which of my shawl patterns will showcase this yarn best. (I'll be sure to post pictures once some knitting progress has been made.)

Almost a year ago, I left a comment on Jorun's knitting blog from Sweden. She was doing a knitting "pay it forward." In today's mail, there was a package for me all the way from Sweden. Here's what Jorun knitted for me:

Isn't this the cutest little felted bag? I wish you could feel how soft the yarn is. Jorun told me in an e-mail that this was her own design. As you can see from the picture above, it's going to be the perfect little bag to carry a small knitting project in (like this sock I've almost finished).

So now it's time for me to "pay it forward." I will send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment on this post requesting to join this Pay It Forward exchange. I don’t know what that gift will be yet and you may not receive it tomorrow or next week, but you will receive it within 365 days, that is my promise! The only thing you have to do in return is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog.

10 comments:

KGMom said...

Awww--Ruthie--what a great idea.
And, sure, I will take the pledge to PAY IT FORWARD.

I have an idea for you with your yarn addiction--take photos of the yarn you see, then don't buy it. Save money, and still look at it. One downside--you can't feel it. And that's the point, isn't it. You buy yarn because it feels great.

Unknown said...

Oh I would love to join in! :D

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Ruthie, I can't knit or purl a stitch so I really appreciate seeing your, and your friends, work. I love the little flower that was crocheted (?) on the bag.

Love seeing your snow too. I remember in my youth that we would sometimes have a skiff of snow around thanksgiving. The hunters in our family thought it was great, we children did too.

Mama Pea said...

Yes, yes, yes, I'd love to join the Pay It Forward exchange! (I already know one thing I'll make!)

Your picture created snow envy in me. Nary a scant covering for us in our location yet (near Canadian border). Husband came in from morning chores a short time ago, and said he heard shots in the distance . . . I'm sure the deer hunters would more than appreciate some snow cover.

Our temp finally dropped overnight into the low 30s so maybe we WILL get some of the predicted snow this weekend.

Can't wait to see how your new yarn works up in whatever shawl pattern you choose.

RuthieJ said...

Thanks Donna. I will make something nice for you. Any favorite colors or fibers that you're allergic to?

And you're right about the yarn--it's all about the sensory aspects--touching, smelling, and turning it from simple "string" into something more beautiful (BTW, I got up early this morning and knitted 6" of the new shawl--the colors are beautiful, just as I had hoped!)

Hello Robin_Titan & welcome to my blog! I also need to know from you about favorite colors and fiber allergies (if any). Also if you could e-mail me (rjknits at msn dot com) your real name and mailing address, I'll keep that on file till your project has been completed. Thanks.

Hi Lisa,
I don't think the "pay it forward" rules specifically say the item has to be knitted or even fiber.....you're a watercolor artist, aren't you? I'm certain there are folks out there who would love one of your original watercolors! So, what do you say? Are you in? Can I knit you something??

RuthieJ said...

Hi Mama Pea,
OK, you're my third "pay it forward" recipient! Thanks for accepting the challenge. Do you have a favorite color or any fiber allergies I'll need to consider?

P.S. to Lisa: If you decide you want to participate after all, I'll make something for you too, OK?

Chicken Mama said...

Wow! I really like that idea. Scratch that: I LOVE that idea! (And it won't be NEARLY as absolutely heartbreaking as the movie 'Pay It Forward'!)

Wish I'd been in on the "1st three" deal. (Next time.) But, I'll do it on my own blog and reference you (if you don't mind).

:) Chicken Mama

Ruth said...

I'll bet that snow is coming our way. Thanks for the warning :-)
I cannot believe "not much has been going on in your life lately." You are such an ambitious and generous person.

Mary said...

Ruthie,

I'm too late but the truth is, I don't have an ounce of talent. I don't make anything. LOL!

I'm feeling like we live in two different worlds, you know. You have snow and I have warm sunshine and 70.

You amaze me with what you can do. When I was in high school, I knitted scarves with big fat needles. Haven't had a hook or needle in my hands since then.

Mary

RuthieJ said...

Hi Chicken Mama,
Go for it! I think it's a really cool idea too and yes, not nearly as sad as the movie.

Hi Ruth,
I haven't seen a national weather report today, but I'm sure you're right! Usually I'm kind of excited about the first snowfall, but not this year--I've still got some yard clean-up chores to get done before it gets really cold.

Hi Mary,
Two different worlds for sure! Even I have a hard time remembering that it was sunny and in the 60's just 1 week ago.

You know, the rules of the exchange just say "handmade"--not necessarily knitted or stitched. How about a nice batch of "Zick dough" or one of your fabulous photographic compositions? You've got more talent than you're giving yourself credit for! We'll come up with something for next time.