Monday, July 27, 2009

Cruisin' for a Cause

Sunday, July 26th turned out to be a perfect day for a 112-mile motorcycle rally to benefit Rochester's Ronald McDonald House. There was over 1000 bikes participating in this rally and here's what we saw at the RCTC parking lot as bikers from around the region gathered to register for this ride.

There were four stops on the ride and each community rolled out the red carpet and shut off their downtowns just for the bikers. Here's the scene in the little town of Millville, MN.

Next stop was Pine Island, MN. It was a great chance to see lots of different bikes and also ride some roads and visit some towns we normally don't take the time to see each summer.

Here's me and my friend Sharon from work. You can't read it very well because her little flag bracket covers it, but her license plate says BKRMOM!

Here's me and Mr. Johnson in our "leathers."
I wore my my special keyhole-cleavage revealing top (cuz you really can't be a true biker chick without showing a little boob, right?) Needless to say there were many more biker chicks showing ALOT more boob than this and all's I ended up with was a nasty little sunburned circle right in the middle of my chest!

Here are a couple of pretty custom bikes I saw.

The H-D's definitely outnumbered all of the other bikes at this rally!

Here's a short video I captured as some of the bikers were leaving Pine Island.

This rally raised over $125,000 for the Ronald McDonald House in Rochester. You can also see the coverage from our local TV news by going to this link (click on the title "Cruisin' for a cause" with a little video camera icon next to it)

14 comments:

KGMom said...

Ruthie--you are too funny--"showing boob"!
It looks like it was a gorgeous day.

Heather said...

What a great cause. You are so generous and giving, Ruthie! And you crack me up with your cleavage shirt! Way to keep it sexy yet modest!

Mama Pea said...

Fun pictures, Ruthie. I got a real giggle regarding your keyhole-cleavage sunburn! (No strapless evening dresses for you for a while.)

Mary C said...

Way to go, Ruthie. How many more bikers this year compared with last year? I liked the idea that the video made comment that it all started with only 6 bikers 9 years ago. It sure looked like it was a beautiful summer day. Take care of that sunburn!

Heidi said...

That's a pretty decent fundraiser in these tight times. Glad it was fun too... lol @ your funky sunburn :)

BkrMom is petite - I like that in a biker :D

Gaelyn said...

OMG, all those beautiful bikes. And what a wonderful ride for a great cause. The sunburned circle serves you right for showing boob.

Jayne said...

WOW, $125,000! That's so great Ruthie. How fun to be a part of something so worthwhile, even if it did mean a wee bit of circular sunburn!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What a good cause to ride for. I love seeing these big conventions of bikes just so I can look at all the interesting gear and of course fashion.tee hee...

Larry said...

It's good that bikers get together for a good cause.I hear more and more about that.Talk about a change of image from the 60's and 70's! Some mean looking bikes there too!

I don't keep up with reading blogs much any more but thought I would just stop by to say hello.

Dawn Fine said...

Hee hee..are you going to wear that great shirt to our birdie outing?
Great cause! Wonderful that you all raised so much money!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

LOL! Your circular sunburn made me giggle- sorry. :)

It looks like lots of fun on a pretty day- ALL for a wonderful cause.

Marsha said...

Wow, Ruthie you are a true biker chick with the keyhole or should I say peak hole,LOL! Your narrative just made me giggle as well ;)

How great that this ride raises so much money. About the only organized one we do is the Shriner's Hospital one.

We biked the Okiboji region of IA this weekend and saw lots of bikes down there too.

Mel said...

Hola Ruthie!
It's so awesome that you managed to raise so much money!!
BTW, put on a bikini and get tanned around the circle ;)
Besos,
Mel

NCmountainwoman said...

Way to go, biker dudes! Great charity that means so much to families. Just wonderful and well worth the circular sunburn.