Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Clever Crow

We've got the fireplace blazing and we're all ready to spend the next 24 hours riding out this first major blizzard of the 2009-2010 winter season. It's been snowing since before 4 AM this morning and luckily for me, Mr. Johnson has plenty of vacation time still remaining, so he came home with me at 10:30 this morning so I wouldn't have to drive back to work and pick him up this afternoon in the heavier snow.

While I was getting our lunch ready, I enjoyed watching my crows in the backyard. Did you know crows liked suet? I really got a kick out of watching this crow desperately trying to acquire a bit of suet from this small hanging feeder. I love how he looks up at the suet and I can only imagine what thought processes are going on in his crow brain as he plots his strategy for obtaining a suet-y snack. Enjoy the show!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very comical to watch. I think they may just get a small treat for themselves, but it's lots of work, up & down.

MOM

Gaelyn said...

Stay warm Ruthie. I'm sure you must have a sweater or two. ;-)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hope all is well there. The winds that brought you your blizzard are howling through here today. I feel like I need to hold on to my hat even in the house. ;)

Crows are the most clever birds. They don't come in our garden often. I love to watch them.

Jayne said...

How funny Ruthie! Stay warm and snug by the fire as the storm blows through! :c)

Mama Pea said...

Once again you got the snow . . . all we're getting is horrendous winds. Not a flake yet here but the winds howling kept us awake most of the night. Roy is out visiting a friend this morning but I'm not going out there unless I HAVE to!

Stay warm and safe.

KGMom said...

Awww, Ruthie--give the crow some suet!

Heather said...

Have you ever observed the crows eating suet before? I've never seen such a thing. There's something graceful about those big wings of theirs...

RuthieJ said...

Hi Mom,
I enjoy watching the crows, but they're very cautious so I have to be careful at the window cuz if they see me, they fly right away!

Hi Gaelyn,
Sweaters are good and I've got plenty (woolen long underwear too!)

Hi Lisa,
We had wind, but not the high winds like you guys had (and it's a good thing too because the snow was really light and fluffy)

Thanks Jayne.

Hi Mama Pea,
I hope you get some snow soon (just not a blizzard!)

Hi Donna,
In my backyard, suet is reserved for woodpeckers, but my crows aren't suffering.....they get dog food and lots of other delicious food scraps instead!

Hi Heather,
This is the first time I've ever seen the crow trying to get suet from a hanging feeder. It was fascinating to watch!

Mel said...

Hola Ruthie,
That was fun to watch! lol
Stay warm!
Besos,
Mel