Sunday, July 4, 2010

A Couple Photos

Thought I'd check in with a quick post of a couple photos I've taken recently. First is the little family of house wrens who recently fledged from a nest box in the front yard. I love this little house because the roof is hinged and you can get a really good view of the baby birds. There are 6 baby wrens in there! #3 arrow is pointing to a baby that's hiding under #2 and the #4 arrow is pointing to a beak of another baby squished between #2 and #5. These little wrens sure made a lot of noise and kept their parents busy from morning til night finding enough insects to feed this hungry brood!

I also managed to capture this Cedar Waxwing who landed on one of the perching branches on my deck. This isn't the best photo of a Cedar Waxwing that I've ever taken, but I thought it was neat because you can really see the red "wax tips" on its wing. I've got a lot of these in my backyard now because all the berries are starting to ripen. I'm still hoping that some day I'll be lucky enough to find one of their nests.

Happy 4th of July to All!!

10 comments:

Gaelyn said...

With 6 hungry mouths to feed no wonder the parents were constantly busy.

I've seen Cedar waxwings but never caught sight of the red tips.

Happy 4th to you!

RuthieJ said...

Hi Gaelyn,
This was only 1 nestbox of 3 families of House Wrens in the backyard. I'm always amazed they can support all those little babies squeezed into those tiny nestboxes. And when I see how many trips back to the nest they make with insects all day long, it makes me really glad that I don't spray for any bugs in the backyard.

Dave Dorsey said...

Happy 4th Ruthie! You have a bizy backyard.

Mama Pea said...

Good to hear from you again, Bird Lady! What a fantastically "happenin'" backyard you do have!

Happy Fourth of July to you, too!

KGMom said...

Awww--love the little wrens.
Happy 4th to you...

Anonymous said...

Loved the pics of your wrens. We don't have any this year and I miss their cheerful song all the day long. It was always fun to walk near the house and have the adults scold you and then listen for all the little ones to scold too.

MOM

Jayne said...

Hey Ruthie! Hope you are having a great summer! Six babies... I am sure those parents are worn slap out! :c) Love seeing the Waxwings too.

RuthieJ said...

Thanks Dave! Yup, there's always something going on it seems....

Thanks Mama Pea. The summer seems to be going by too fast!

Thanks Donna. It's really amazing how much noise a houseful of those little birdies can make.

Hi Mom,
Hopefully the wrens in the nest box under my deck will fledge soon....they are almost to the point of being annoying with all the constant chattering and scolding!

Thanks Jayne. I'm sure those parents were truly exhausted with all those round trips back & forth to the hungry babies.

Thank you Sebi.

Jo said...

I just found this site, via Mama Pea's. Always happy to read another Minnesota blog, and you've got beautiful bird pictures to boot! I work at a state park, so I get to enjoy a bit of birding at my job, but I think you are much better at it than I am. (That wouldn't take much, actually.) Good luck with all the baby peeps at your home.

Mollie said...

The photo of the baby wrens is great--definitely my nature fix for the day! Thanks. I suppose a small nest keeps all the babies warmer. How do you check on the baby birds w/out the parents coming after you? And yes, no spraying definitely helps the insect population to thrive and do their part in the food chain of life.