Monday, April 9, 2007

It was a Happy Easter

We had a nice Easter Sunday. The weather was mild and sunny and it was a good day to celebrate with family.

Rick and I got up early and drove out to a rural area to look and listen for gobbling turkeys. We heard a few gobbles, but I was really excited to get a photo of this little weasel. I could hear him rustling around in the underbrush, but it was Rick who noticed him, commenting that there was a "little chipmunk" to my right. As soon as I saw it I knew it wasn't a chipmunk, but he was so quick in and out of the underbrush that at first I thought it was a red squirrel till I saw the black tip on his tail. What a cutie! I saw a white one once many years ago when we were still snowmobiling, but have never seen one since.


The Easter dinner was held at our house. Everyone had more than enough to eat and the dogs were happy because there were lots of plates to lick off. Here's Daisy doing her best to clean up a dessert plate. She's going to be 14 this coming Thursday, so she's earned the right to sit at the big table now.


Later in the day, I got a picture of this song sparrow in the tray feeder outside the kitchen window. They usually don't sit around in one place too long and this picture isn't the best because he didn't want to move away from the edge of the tray, but I think you can see the wonderful streaking on his breast and also his striped cap.


Here is a picture sent from Brother Phil in California. He says this dove nest is in their backyard and the dove seemed to think they had put the planter out just for her to nest in. This is nice - she won't have to worry about her eggs rolling out of the nest.


This is going to be an interesting weather week. The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for us for tomorrow. I'd best get my birdseed bins filled up today so there's enough on hand for the next few days of bad weather again.

No comments: