Wednesday, April 11, 2007

We Were Warned!

Well, once again, the weatherman was right! It started snowing last night around 7:30. It snowed all night, but not too heavily, so there was probably only about a couple inches when we got up this morning. The drive to work was slow as the highway was pretty slippery, but at 5:15 a.m. there aren't too many cars on the road, so our commute was uneventful (only saw 1 vehicle in the ditch).


It snowed all day, and snowed, and snowed. The flakes are huge and there's some pretty good drifts in spots. I'm going to estimate that we've gotten about 6" so far (as of 2:30 this afternoon when I was refilling the birdfeeders).


I checked the NEXRAD radar (via WeatherBug) several times during the day and it looks as though the center of the precipitation is just sitting right on top of southeastern Minnesota and going around in a circle.


I know it doesn't do any good to complain about the weather, because it's out of my control, but this JUST SUCKS! I'm totally depressed and saddened to think about all the birds and wildlife that are adversely affected by this spring snowstorm.


I feel so bad I'm going to start another knitting project. This will be my reward project for finishing the socks.

It's called the Irish Diamond Shawl from Cheryl Oberle's "Folk Shawls" book and I'm going to make it in the pretty dark red yarn shown. I know starting this shawl will make me feel better; maybe I'll start a nice cheery blaze in the fireplace too.


I hope this is the last bout of winter weather we're going to have to endure this season. This snow can't last too much longer. The forecast for Friday through Sunday shows mostly sunny and highs in the 40's. Maybe our spring will get back on track (and we can think about sitting out in these chairs again one of these days.....)

No comments: