Monday, October 8, 2007

Happy Monday

Today was my first day back at work after a week's vacation (boo hoo). Fortunately, I had plenty of work piled up so the day went fast and I didn't have much time to think about how tough it was to be back at work.

Thankfully, the weather has finally cooled down. My air conditioner was still running this morning as I was getting ready for work, but by the time we got home, I was able to open up the windows and let the nice cool westerly breeze into the stuffy house. We had some heavy rains again overnight and this morning.

But I believe (hope) this weather system is now moving in an easterly direction so relief may be only a day or two away for those of you still sweltering on the east coast.


I tried a new preserve yesterday: apple butter (made with apples from the trees in my backyard). It didn't make a huge amount of jam--next time I'll throw a few more apples into the pot.

It's quite tasty (even without some toast to spread it on).

Oops, where did it go?? Well, it would be kind of gross to scoop it out of the jar and then put it back in, don't you think?


The cooler weather has brought a few more birds back to the feeders. Here's a somewhat shabby looking juvenile cardinal growing into his adult plumage and having to share the feeder with the Houses -- finch and sparrow.

In closing, I just wanted to say that I've been having a heck of a time with Blogger letting me add the pictures to my posts lately. Have any of you been encountering this also? I wonder if it's just a busy time when other people are posting also? I'll have to experiment with trying to get my posts in earlier and see if it makes any difference.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so nice to turn the air conditioning off. The windows and the patio door were open most of the day when it wasn't raining this morning. The hot, humid weather was really getting to me. This is fall and it isn't supposed to be this warm, nearly 90. I enjoy the cooler weather and I rarely complain about the cold weather, now in a few weeks maybe snow like Trixie had in Alaska, it's coming like it or not.
MOM

Maud said...

A friend of mine living in Alaska once made apple butter for me, but I have never here heard about it. It's not an European thing at all, I think.
The cardinal is beautiful,even if still youngster.

entoto said...

Ruthie,

I went to uploading my pics to flickr first, then blogger takes them soooo fast. I can also see them at work that way. For some reason my work server does not like pics loaded right to blogger, but lets me see pics that are flickred first.

Ruth said...

The air is changing here today too!I love apple butter. It is made locally and is readily available so I have never done it myself. I like my jams and fruit butters in plain yogurt.
I had ongoing difficulties with uploading pictures until I switched my browser to Firefox. A lot of bloggers have fond Firefox to be a better platform.

Mary said...

Ruthie,

Uploading photos with Blogger was my worst problem. That's why I switched to uploading from Flickr. It's a breeze.

I have noticed more birds on the cooler days. I wonder if the heat makes them take a siesta more often?

Mmmmm. You've been cooking some good things :o) I can smell them from all the way down here.

It's a record-breaking 93 today. High 70's by the weekend! I think you are right!

RuthieJ said...

Hi Mom,
I had to close up all the windows tight today and probably turn the furnace on for tomorrow morning. I'm glad it's sweatshirt weather again.

Hi Maud,
I remember my Grandma used to make apple butter years ago and I didn't like it too much. It's kind of like a really thick applesauce with spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves & a little cardamom).

I've got quite a few cardinals in my yard this fall...several successful broods hatched this summer, and they're beginning to look quite colorful.

Hi Trixie,
I'm really clueless on Flickr. Is it pretty user friendly? I really need to try something different.

Hi Ruth,
Thanks for the tip on using jams with plain yogurt. I bet it's delicious.

Help--I'm clueless on Firefox also. Is that an internet platform?

Hi Mary,
That apple butter did smell delicious while cooking. I suppose I would have had more to fill another jar if I hadn't done so much taste testing....

I hope you're starting to feel some cool air finally 'cuz it's blowing really hard from the northwest this afternoon--right down to you!

Larry said...

I have trouble uploading photos. I especially have trouble uploading photos that will enlarge.