Thursday, May 17, 2007

Turkey Hunting

Our turkey hunting with bow and arrow season opens tomorrow morning at 1/2 hour before sunrise, which is 5:41. That means we will have to get up at our normal time, which is 4 AM. The main difference this year is that we will be walking to our hunting place and as gas just went up today to $3.25/gallon, we can really appreciate not having that 40 mile round trip drive to get to the turkey hunting spot.

We walked down to neighbor Jack's pasture this evening and marked the location where the blind will go up tomorrow morning. It will be an interesting experience as there are cows and calves in the pasture now. They are curious critters and I'm sure once they spot the blind in the morning, they're going to come right over to investigate. I'll be taking pictures to share with you tomorrow afternoon.

Everyone we've talked to so far this turkey hunting season has different stories to tell of how the turkeys have been behaving. So far we haven't heard the same story twice, so we have no idea what to expect. The only thing I do know is that if a turkey comes within 9, 11, or 13 yards of the blind and it's my turn to shoot, we're going to be eating turkey for dinner!

This photo shows the results of my practice session today. I love my new Mathews bow. It's hard to believe a bow can make such a difference in accuracy, but I was never able to shoot this good consistently with my old Parker. Rick got his new Mathews bow a few weeks ago and his shooting is even better than mine.

2 comments:

Larry said...

I like turkey jerkey-Never tried a Wild Turkey though.

RuthieJ said...

Larry,
wild turkey is the best! No hormones, antibiotics, or chemicals. The meat is a bit darker and drier than domestic turkey, but once you eat it, you won't want to eat domestic turkey again. If anyone ever offers to share wild turkey with you, be sure to take them up on the offer!